Coming Out: When is the Right Time?
By Ellen Friedrichs, About.com Guide
- Deciding to Come Out
- Coming Out Tips
- Risks and Benefits of Coming Out
- Questions About Coming Out
- Coming Out Experiences
Deciding to Come Out
Deciding to come out can be one of the more challenging life events for GLBT people. Coming out should be something a person does after careful consideration and thought, and not something a person feels pressured to do. Asking yourself if you are secure in your sexual orientation or gender identity, and if there is someone you know will be supportive, are two good starting questions. But there are many more things to think about as well!
- Is Being Gay a Choice?
- Am I Gay, Lesbian, Bisxual or Transgender?
- How Do I Know When to Come Out?
- How Can I Tell Friends I Like Other Girls?
Coming Out Tips
Should you yell your identity from the rafters, write a letter to your parents, or post a coming out announcement on your Facebook page? There's no one way to come out that will work for everyone. But there are some ways to come out that seem to work better than others!
- How to Start a Conversation About Being GLBT
- Coming Out Tips and Advice from GLBT Teens
- Coming Out in College
- Coming Out When the Time is Right
- National Coming Out Day
Risks and Benefits of Coming Out
Coming out can be scary. Families and friends may react badly and homophobia is a real issue that a lot of teens face. As a result, there are many common concerns that teens have about coming out. However, coming out is also very freeing for a lot of folks. Plus, once you are out you can feel more confident meeting other GLBT teens and participating in GLBT community life.
- Common Concerns About Coming Out
- Meeting Other GLBT Teens
- Support For Gay Teens
- Why Staying Closeted Can Cause Harm to Gay Teens
Questions About Coming Out
GLBT teens have a lot of questions about coming out. Some wonder when to do so. Others are curious about what exactly to say or who to tell. And plenty want to know if they can just avoid coming out altogether.
- Who Should I Come Out to and Tell I'm Gay?
- Should You Come Out on Facebook?
- Should I Feel Guilty About Still Being in the Closet?
Coming Out Experiences
Coming out is unique to each individual. Some people have wonderful experiences. Others face real challenges and hostility. However, most teens who decide to come out explain they don't regret the decision!
- Lesbian and Bisexual Girls Share Their Coming Out Stories
- Gay Teens Share Their Coming Out Stories
- Coming Out to Parents