There are a lot of gay female musicians around. You might not hear them all on top 40 radio shows, but these five are worth checking out!
- The indie rock band, Gossip, was formed in the late nineties in Arkansas. They are now based in Portland, Oregon. Gossip is made up of singer Beth Ditto, drummer, Hannah Blilie, (both lesbians), and guitarist, Brace Paine.
- JD Samson is originally from Ohio, and is based in New York. JD was a member of the group LeTigre, and is known for everything from making lesbian calendars, to sporting a tattoo reading, "Mustache," and DJing with her current remix project Men.
- Peaches is the stage name of Canadian electro-punk musician who is known both for her sexually and politically charged lyrics, and her ability to play with gender (for example appearing on an album cover with a full beard).
- Yo Majesty is a hip hop group from Tampa, Florida made up of two women, Shunda K. (LaShunda Flowers) and Jwl B. (Jewel Baynham). Yo Majesty refers to itself as the only openly lesbian rap group and was called "antidote to a quarter-century of sexist, homophobic rap" by Boston.com.
- Tegan and Sara Quin are twins who are also lesbian singer songwriters from Calgary, Alberta.