Is it love, lust, infatuation, or maybe just "like"? Figuring out your feelings can go a long way in helping you build a healthy relationship!
So you met someone you are crazy about and are wondering, "Is this love?"
Scientists have determined that for most people there are three phases of love:
Lust is a strong sexual feeling for someone else. Love is a sense of deep caring, warmth and intimacy for another person. Attachment is the feeling of connection with another person that makes you want to spend time with them and have them involved in your life.
Here are some things to ask yourself:
- How do I feel when I am with this person?
- How do I feel when I am not with this person?
- Does this person make me feel special and happy?
- Can I be myself around this person?
- What are the qualities this person has that make me feel so strongly?
- Do I think my feelings are reciprocated?
Being in love can be a wonderful feeling! But keep in mind that after the initial passionate feelings calm down, you will be left with a real person and real issues to deal with. A lot of people feel that a deeper love develops over time.
The guide to Teen Advice has developed a quiz called Am I In Love? You might want to take it to help you think through this question further!