If you are a GLBT teen with college on your mind, there are a few things to consider besides academics. Here are five:
- Finding a gay-friendly college. Whether you had a positive experience in high school or not, making sure you are somewhere welcoming for the next four years is crucial.
- Do you want a college with an active gay community? Do you want GLBT student groups, GSA's or even gay fraternities?
- Dorm life. Many colleges and universities throughout the country are now offering gender-neutral housing to their students which are designed to be safe and inclusive options for gay, lesbian, and transgender students.
- Coming Out in College. A lot of people decide to come out in college. Often it's a really good experience. But just like coming out at any time, it's one that you should give some thought to.
- Finding Scholarships and financial aid. There are actually organizations dedicated to helping qualified GLBT students.