1. People & Relationships

Sex toys, are perfectly healthy and safe. However, in most American States, it is illegal for teens to buy sex toys if they are under 18. In some states, it is illegal to buy sex toys if you are under 21. In others it is illegal to buy sex toys at any age. In fact, there have been a few cases where retailers have been prosecuted for selling sex toys to adults.

Because they cannot legally purchase sex toys, some teens improvise their own, using things like electric massagers or other devices. If a teen does this, it is really important to make sure that the toy is clean, can't get lost in the body (mainly just an issue for toys used for anal play), doesn't have sharp edges and is not made out of a dangerous or irritating material.

If using a toy with another person, it is really important to cover it with a new condom between partners and to wash and sterilize the toy properly. That's because toys, like people, can pass infections and STDs.

Toys can be healthy way for a GLBT teen to explore his or her sexuality--either with a partner or alone. But because there are often legal hurdles to doing so, a lot of teens wait until they are of legal age to explore in this way.

Comments
May 27, 2008 at 11:52 pm
(1) Sarah says:

I don’t understand why some states completely ban sex toys all together. Even the under 21 age limit seems stupid. Yeah, until 18 makes sense; at 18 you can smoke, shouldn’t you be able to pleasure yourself the way you want to? And why should states be able to control how you act in your own home?

Unless it’s illegal, like forced sodomy or something like that, why should they have any say in what turns people on?

June 1, 2008 at 11:53 pm
(2) Billy says:

Why in the world is buying sex toys illegal in some states?I didn’t know that.That’s just plain stupid,why should you even care whether or not a person uses a sex toy or not in their private sexual activities.As long as it’s not illegal or hurting anybody, it should be nobody’s right to stick their nose in this matter.Just because they can’t get it up doesn’t mean that they should prevent other people from doing so.

September 23, 2008 at 10:56 am
(3) ZACK says:

I feel like you should be able to buy sex toys at 16 youre not hurting anyone just looking for self satisfaction

March 11, 2009 at 6:22 pm
(4) jim says:

What exactly is illegal about purchasing sex toys? I went to new york city a week ago and found out something i did not know. An 18, 19, and 20 year old can not enter a sex shop in NYC. What? Alright under 18 yeah some points can be made for that reason. But an preventing an adult 18, 19, or 20 year old from entering a store? Who exactly is this law protecting? I call shenanigans on this bogus law. I have never met one person who holds could support such a law. I went in seven stores in and around times square and said to the clerk “Could you please explain to me why myself, a 19 year old, can not enter this store?” They all responded the same. “It’s just the law man.” Alright so its “just the law.” Not even the people upholding this “law” know what they are doing this for. Also, these clerks seemed to address me as an adult. It’s an adult store. Everywhere else 18 is the grown up age where you can’t say “I’m a minor” any more. So why prevent non-minors from entering and purchasing from a sex shop?

March 19, 2009 at 5:28 pm
(5) Chris says:

really it pisses me off as a 17 year old who may possibly be gay [bi at this point] i would love to use a sex to to try anal play. In any case it is probably 10x safer than going on craigslist or some other site and hooking up with a stranger! like seriously AMERICA wake up and smell the coffee

May 5, 2009 at 2:14 pm
(6) nicole says:

wtf? thats not cool. now i hav to ask my older sister to buy me a sex toy. thts embarrassing!!!

June 6, 2009 at 3:49 pm
(7) Ryan says:

It should be completely legal for people to buy sex toys. The government has NO right to say how we the people can have sex with toys.

July 3, 2009 at 11:48 am
(8) Garry says:

Thats just stupid, I mean you should be allowed buy a sex toy at any age withen reason because if a minor wanted to buy one but couldnt he would make his own, ending up potentially hurting or even killing himself.

minors could buy sex toys accidents reduced less possibility of parents finding out everyone happy.

September 23, 2009 at 6:55 pm
(9) Hello Kitty says:

I think minors should be able to buy sex toys in high school. And I don’t understand why it’s illegal at all in some states.

January 6, 2010 at 6:53 pm
(10) Travis says:

yes, exactly. I agree with Chris, i’m Bi and I want to go to spencers and buy a sex toy but you have to be 18? the legal age of consent is 16, that’s not right. i’ve had to make my own sex toys to play with anally and I’m always worried they will cause bodily harm. come on America, you are thinking about legallizing marijuana but not sex toys? that enrages me !

February 13, 2010 at 8:43 pm
(11) Nichole says:

I think that ameica is basically telling teens under 18 (21 in some places) that it is okay to have sex but it’s not okay to explore yourself with anything more than their hands which is ridiculous !!!!!! Sex toys don’t hurt and they could even say that props weren’t legal for anyone under 18. I would be fine with that because that is discouraging sex in some way. They always have to take it a bit to far. I mean I am 14 and I want to now what some things feel like that I can’t reach with my finger so what is a gal like me to do?? Use my parents things? Or ask them to buy something for me?? I don’t think so.

February 16, 2010 at 7:19 pm
(12) Jimenia says:

I didnt know about this law until I went into Starship and they asked for ID. I don’t think it’s fair. Why can’t I explore my sexuality without the law butting in?

February 21, 2010 at 12:25 am
(13) Casey says:

It’s ridiculous but I think I may have found a loop hole…. Amazon.com!

February 21, 2010 at 10:00 pm
(14) Daniel says:

(13) Casey: If you have a credit card. D:

February 26, 2010 at 10:41 pm
(15) Fred says:

Sex toys supose to be legal for everybody

March 2, 2010 at 10:42 pm
(16) Grace says:

What frustrates me is that being unable to get rid of the urges from hormones (and frankly how horribly sexual our society is in the media) it makes teens have to improvise (which can be dangerous as stated above) or experiment with a partner which can lead to teenage pregnancy.

It’s embarrassing as hell but I do wish you could buy sex toys at 16 or 17. It would save me a lot of frustration (and other teenagers) of dealing with hormones and having no options. Because frankly, improvising=bad idea and I’m not doing anything with a guy until I have a ring on my finger.

March 4, 2010 at 12:40 am
(17) Melinda says:

I think you are ALL wrong. A minor (under 18) is not mature or emotionally ready to be exposing themselves to sex toys!!! It’s down right crazy to think that if they are denied acess to sex toys they will harm themselves, make their own sex toys or end up pregnant or with an STD. There is a reason that these toys are called “adult oriented”!!!

March 7, 2010 at 3:30 pm
(18) Anymouse says:

Heyy Guys I’m so bored and I came across this while googling ‘should I get my teacher a signed autograph’ (dont ask) I have no comment about this and really cannot be bothered but I thought I would take a look,
One question:
What are *** toys? Im only 13.

March 21, 2010 at 4:18 pm
(19) Morgan says:

I think having a sex toy is a little more efficiant then being able to buy condoms. If anyone at any age can buy condoms (there is no age limit legally to purchase them, or pregnancy tests) then there shouldn’t be an “illegal” age for a sex toy. They’re safer then improvising, like most teens do. Or having the teen go out and find another partner to take care of those pleasure needs.

Teenagers are the ones with the highest hormonal changes. They should have first dibs on sex toys.

April 20, 2010 at 6:36 pm
(20) Richy says:

I noticed a few people commenting about using amazon to buy toys and someone reminding people that we need a credit card. There is a way to buy stuff from amazon using a visa giftcard. It’s available at most convinience stores and acts just like a credit card, you simply just ask to put how much u want on it and then u register it online. Done. You can now order stuff online. Now to find an excuse for your parents when they see the “discreetly packaged” sex toy

May 10, 2010 at 8:13 pm
(21) Aaron says:

I wish at the age of 16 we they should be able to buy sex toys, they can drive cars at this age why not buy a sex toy?

May 24, 2010 at 12:22 am
(22) Hanna says:

I had NO idea this was even a law….anywhere. I’m 17 now, and I’ve been buying sex toys from Spencer’s since I was about 14. Either I look old for my age, or they just really don’t care. But if you can’t buy a sex toy, buy a back massager, or get a visa gift card, many loop holes into this stupid law.

May 30, 2010 at 6:16 pm
(23) bob says:

thats is so stupid if i had a kid i would want him/her to use a sex toy insted of haveing sex then geting/or geting some one els prog

June 13, 2010 at 11:27 pm
(24) sabrina says:

I don’t get society thease days.
sex toys should be open to the public regardless of age. (within reason) like sixteen and up.
If I had kids… I would rather them go buy toys at an early age and explore there bodys rather than going out not knowing what to expect. How to feel? Even better getting sexually transmitted diseases. Jezzz

August 10, 2010 at 1:30 pm
(25) Brady says:

I’m 14 and i find this to be told crap. Why the hell should the government be able to tell us what age we can experiment with ourselves. I dont get why they just dont make it legal that minor can buy sex toys cuz, we are just goin to try to find a loop hole anyway. I really hate the government.

November 24, 2010 at 12:35 am
(26) Nic says:

At the age of fifteen and in the B or Q category, I feel it is very important to be able to explore the true feeling of these kinds of things. If a teen like myself were to run out into the world without proper education or experience, it is potentially dangerous to both the physical and maybe even mental health of somebody my age. This law really is crap.

November 29, 2010 at 1:56 pm
(27) Cat says:

i think it’s stupid, im 15 and i feel like i need something but i can’t use anything, i just can’t be pleasured to the right standard! but in a year i can have sex,drive a car but i can’t explore my sexuality. i think it’s rediculous, but i think it should be 16&up.

December 3, 2010 at 4:30 pm
(28) Alleshmah says:

I think that laws banning the purchase of sex toys is silly. Surely it’s better for teenagers to explore masturbation on their own, before they go out and have sex when they’re older. If they can’t get hold of sex toys, they may make mistakes with men when they want to explore. Also, in countries, such as the UK, where the legal limit to have sex is 16, surely you should be able to purchase toys at that age too.

January 29, 2011 at 12:07 am
(29) ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! says:

Let me just say this is crazy, the government is stupid. This is supposed to be a free country yet in this country in certain states we are not even free enough to explore our bodies unless we are 18 and older and in some states we are not even aloud to explore our bodies by our selves at all. Now I understand part of it like it would be weird if ten year olds had sex toys, unless they hit puberty early in which case their hormones would be out of control. Most people reach puberty in their teens maybe around thirteen or so and it would be much safer for teens to use sex toys than actual sex with a partner. If I had a child I would prefer they use a sex toy than to go out and have sex with someone which could lead to pregnancy, an STD, or emotional distress.

January 30, 2011 at 6:07 pm
(30) Mari says:

i have a credit card under my name and i want a sex toy that cost $3.00 at http://www.healthyandactive.com and im 16 . Do anyone think i could get away with it?

February 11, 2011 at 11:32 pm
(31) Alex says:

NO! Sex toys are good. If masturbating is normal (IT IS NORMAL) then why can’t we masturbate with more pleasure! Sex toys are normal in every way. I’m 12 and I want a sex toy. But law says i can’t! We feel horny and because of this teens are having underaged sex! I don’t agree with the sex toy law!

February 26, 2011 at 11:36 pm
(32) FireandIce says:

Banning sex toys is absolutely stupid. If the lawmakers would give them a chance they would see a huge drop in the pregnancy rate. I make my own sex toys because north carolina is stupid, and makes them illegal for people under 18 to buy. Hell, i was down in SC for the summer and went to a non politicaly correct joke shop near the daughters of confederacy open air markett named shelia’s shamrock. I had a talk with the store clerk and she said that you can buy a Zippo Lighter when you are 7 years old in SC, even though they had an adult section that you had to be 21 to get anything in there. Nevertheless is one sex toy i did find under the codename “personal massager” (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Durex-Luna-Personal-Massager/11079864) so i made a walmart account with a gift card and i love it. Also do these people not get that no matter what teenagers are HORNEY???? sex toys are a great way to get sexual pleasure without the risk of getting pregnant or STDS. Somtimes i just wonder what people are thinking.

May 13, 2011 at 11:30 pm
(33) Ash says:

I’m 16 and I’ve bought a total of 3 vibrators…the person working behind the counter of Spencers didn’t bat an eye, nor was I carded
Are you sure it’s illegal?

June 1, 2011 at 2:55 am
(34) Anonymous says:

I think that sex toys should be legal to every one regardless the age I’m 12 years old and want a fleshlight but don’t know how to buy one or my parents not find out

June 4, 2011 at 1:33 pm
(35) Miharu says:

I think it’s stupid that Alabama makes it illegal for us teens to buy sex toys! I mean, hello! I’m seventeen for crying out loud! Would they rather me go out and have some guy pleasure me, the condom break, and I wreck whatever future I had going for me?!

March 5, 2012 at 5:43 pm
(36) Anony mous joe says:

I’m 14 and I own sex toys :P
I don’t really see a point in putting an age ban on them as it is important for teens to explore their sexuality to prepare them for the future.

May 18, 2012 at 11:13 pm
(37) kodkodlover says:

Minors should be able to have sex toys…end of story. I remember when I was that age, and so horny it hurt (emotionally) sometimes. All I wanted was a little bit of relief that I was just not getting with masturbation. Key word RELIEF. I didn’t want sex with a partner, I just wanted to stop feeling that way for two damn minutes. If teens had access to sex toys they’d be considerably less likely to seek a partner for sex because they wouldn’t NEED one.

When your body craves it, you are old enough to have it. The eighteen or older law is only in place because younger then that you are financially unable to care for a child. To those who say that teens arn’t emotionally ready for sex toys…it has nothing to do with emotions. This isn’t love, it’s stress relief. No one tells you not to get a punching bag or do sports because you’re not “emotionally ready”. This is the same situation, just you yourself and a cold unfeeling piece of plastic.

October 31, 2012 at 5:32 pm
(38) jon says:

hi im 14 and im bi. i just dont get how the goverment is so stupid i want to be able to anal mastorpate without havin to make summit instead and have less of a chance of catching a std

March 24, 2013 at 12:27 pm
(39) Yup says:

And this is why there is so much teen pregnancy, congratulations.

May 26, 2013 at 5:03 pm
(40) James says:

If you really want, you should buy modeling clay and kneed and work that for a while. (Don’t be afraid of getting it dirty or putting some hair in it, it’ll actually work better this way). After its nice and moldable, make it into a dildo shape (leave a handle!). Lotion or a condom and you’re good to go!

November 17, 2013 at 6:56 am
(41) Pvberty says:

Hello, i am a 16 year old female and all i have to say is, this whole situation needs to be changed because obviously, most people are naturally against it. I don’t care about what anyone says, we are all human and we are going to do whatever it takes to make ourselves happy, life is too short to waste on letting others judge on what you do and how you spend your own personal time and moments. No matter what, people are going to want pleasure, it’s in our nature. Not everyone masturbates but most of the poeple on this earth will find ways to fufill their own sexual desires. Weather it’s through themselves or with the help of a sexual partner, male or female. I also believe that in all states, no matter where a person lives, sex toys should be allowed in their posession at the age of 16 and up because in my belief, 16 is the year in a human’s life where they have gone from a child, to a growing and matureing adult, who will have even more sexual desires throughout their next 3 years of their teenage life. Even after their teenage days are over, there will still be sexual desires at hand, and that’s okay. But all i’m saying is, it should be ligal to anyone who feels ready to explore their own sexual disires, but just the ones who acually UNDERSTAND their sexual desires aswell as their limits. So i am on everyone’s sides here because people are different, aswell as different openions. So whatever side you take on the sex toy ligalization, take that side. Take your side and let others take their own side. If you feel as though a certain age is too earky, then wait, or have someone you know & love wait, while if you feel a certain age range is perfect or just fine, then go for it. ^-^ That is all. And thank you all for acually opening up to others to tell how you feel, personally, as a human being with sexual disires of your own.

March 10, 2014 at 8:37 am
(42) Jane says:

As a parent of a teenage daughter – I have just found explicit bondage gear that her boyfriend ordered. Unbeknown to me, I innocently thought it was general purchases – not bondage and vibrators he was ordering online!

He has a mental health issue, and as this is my daughter`s first relationship, I feel he is wrong to do this, and I know his family disapprove of my daughter and our background – he comes from a well to do family! Who I have yet to meet.

I would appreciate anyone`s advice on how to deal with this issue! I am not a prude, but feel my daughter could be niaive in what she may be getting in to. Please help…

March 12, 2014 at 12:12 am
(43) nunya says:

This is ridiculous you can have anyone canbuy or receive condoms but you can’t buy a sex toy if your under a certain age its like the government wants teens to have sex. Get over it and realize you will probably have less teen pregnancys if you just let them buy there toys

April 3, 2014 at 7:27 am
(44) sex vibrator says:

Hi there! I know this is kind of off-topic however I needed to ask.
Does operating a well-established website such as
yours require a lot of work? I am completely new to blogging however I do write in my diary every
day. I’d like to start a blog so I will be able to share my personal experience and
thoughts online. Please let me know if you have any kind of recommendations or
tips for new aspiring blog owners. Thankyou!

April 16, 2014 at 3:58 pm
(45) Ronald says:

I agree to the point that the government’s laws on the legal age to purchase sex toys is ridiculous because it excludes in several states actual adults. We live in a world driven by society, business, and of course, adults. Why can’t adults get to do what they want to do? If that’s what appeals to them, then why stop it? Isn’t that the purse of happiness(physically and emotionally in a sense)? I would rather have the law clearly state legal age: 18. I am not sure whether to say if teenagers should or shouldn’t be given the opportunity for sex toys. I think that it would be somewhat healthy, but perhaps people fear that it will lead to an addiction, which it usually does to some. That’s what I think that people may think; it could be many things. I just was reading this and decided to join in on the topic.